Poster Thread
Harry Potter Book 7 - WARNING SPOILERS
Traveler of Karn
From Howling Bluff, Senton
Creation Points : 1244
Hit Points : 2 / 31
MEP or PEP : 121 / 3438
Earned Skill Points : 77
I finally finished it at 3:30 this morning, then collapsed to sleep before work today. I am not going to write some well thought out thesis, as I am tired and at work, but there is a lot in and about this book I think and feel on both ends of the spectrum. I will do more of a point of interest as they hit me (attempted to keep them in book order).

I loved how it jumped right in with heavy story and action. The opening actually had me falter on my very strong beliefs about Snape (which I was later COMPLETELY vindicated and proven right, even the Lilly love part), For a long time I had thought I had been wrong about him all this time and he WAS actually truly evil and fooled Dumbledore. I never faltered before, and his murder of Dumbledore actually strengthened my beliefs in the last book, so I was shocked that she was able to do it to me this time around.

I loved that Dudley actually shows there is hope for him. He has a soul and can change, unlike his horrible father. The handshake really made me smile.

I actually cried out when Hedwig died. Odd how the death of a pet (and later a non-human, Dobby) affected me far more than any of the Human/Wizard deaths.

The ministry fell, Voldermort was now in control of the government (although through puppets and not declaring himself minister), and Scrimgower being so unceremonially murdered. This was very powerful and scary news to get, especially the way it broke out at the wedding reception and the running began.

After the wedding, however, I felt the book dragged. I know the trio was kind of lost and directionless, not knowing where to go, but I felt the book spent too much time dwelling in this time. I was starting to get tired of the sort of repeating actions of run, wait, found, run, wait, found... Sure, this was a time to learn a lot of information and grow the tension, but it could have been done in far fewer pages.

I know they couldn't call him right away, for fear of him being "followed" if he was being physically held, but why did they never call Kreature in the weeks/months that followed and have him come along with them? He would have made SUCH a good helper through some of that time.

Then, a short ways after the halfway mark in the book, it really picked up again and felt like it was going somewhere once more (even though they were still wandering directionless). Getting to see all these groups of people we knew or knew relatives of from other books felt a little forced at times, but it worked well.

I liked watching the Malfoys sinking further into their sorrow and regret, but without actually changing their nature. They no longer truly believed in the dark lord and his ways, but were not suddenly Dumblefore/Harry supporters either. They were truly selfish to the end.

The battle at Hogwarts was like a who's who from the other six books, even though some of them were just there to have their name mentioned in the book. Plus, the redemption and reunion of Percy was sweet. It was nice to see that everyone was serious about this fight and it was nice to see it was not a stupid "movie fight" where nobody actually gets hurt. It was war and nobody was safe.

Then the whole proven right all along about Snape after all thing. I couldn't believe that she actually got me to falter at the start of the book.

Then came the whole Harry is a Horcrux thing. I was NEVER a fan of this theory and had completely discounted it, but I have to admit she handled it well. Still not sure I liked that it was true, but it was handed so beautifully I can't really groan about it.

And the final battle was great. Molly kicked ass. Neville kicked ass. Harry's confrontation with Tom was perfect. The power with which he spoke and the fear Tom showed at it. It was already well after midnight by that point and I could not stop reading.

And the last chapter, Nineteen Years Later, was so cute and sweet and the perfect way to end the story. Life was back to how it should be. Everything that mattered was good. Malfoy was still a cold self-centered coward and NOT a friend of the Potters.
Ron and Hermione.
Harry and Ginny.

Albus Severus Potter.

Perfect.
Posted on: 2007/7/23 12:04
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  Guyhodges
      Guyhodges
Re: Harry Potter Book 7 - WARNING SPOILERS
Traveler of Karn
From Seattle
Creation Points : 527
Hit Points : 1 / 24
MEP or PEP : 24 / 1340
Earned Skill Points : 53
I was a little confused about why the Elder Wand would of chosen Draco as its new owner... I mean I followed the logic up to and after that... its probably in the book, but I just read like 300 pages to the end and can't bring myself to look it up.
Posted on: 2007/7/26 22:26
Re: Harry Potter Book 7 - WARNING SPOILERS
Traveler of Karn
From Howling Bluff, Senton
Creation Points : 1244
Hit Points : 2 / 31
MEP or PEP : 121 / 3438
Earned Skill Points : 77
Quote:

Guyhodges wrote:
I was a little confused about why the Elder Wand would of chosen Draco as its new owner... I mean I followed the logic up to and after that... its probably in the book, but I just read like 300 pages to the end and can't bring myself to look it up.

I can understand how one can get confused a little through the whole thing (especially if you aren't a crazy fan who listens to the audiobooks every night when going to bed). I was listening to PotterCast today (They recorded it on sunday after one reading of the book) and they were even discussing the whole thing about the owner of the wand, because some of them were confused about it.

So let me try and set the order of events clear for everyone. This in order of events, not the order we learn of them in the books (since most of this is learned later in book 7 after most of it has actually happened).

Grindelwald was defeated by Dubmbledore (but not killed) and he became the owner of the wand (both by right and physically). Then a LONG period of time passed.

In book 6, after becoming weakened by the potion protecting the locket, Dumbledore and Harry land on the top of the tower at Hogwarts. The door bursts open to reveal Draco Malfoy, who has his wand out. Instead of defending himself, Dumbledore is just able freeze harry (hidden under his invisibility cloak) before becoming disarmed by Draco's Expeliarmus. Unable to stand and at the mercy of Draco Dumbledore admits defeat (but then tries to get Draco to change his ways and offers him and his family protection). This is the point that the Elder Wand changed rightful ownership to Draco, but he doesn't take physical ownership of it.

Snape comes through before anything else happens and shortly after kills Dumbledore. The wand does not change hands here, since Draco in the rightful owner and not Dumbledore. The wand is buried with Dumbledore and left there until later in Book 7 when it is taken by Voldermort.

After traveling aimlessly for far too many chapters the trio (Harry, Hermione, and Ron) are captured by Death Eaters and taken to the Malfoy mansion, which is the temporary headquarters of the Death Eaters. In their bid to escape Harry defeats Draco, disarms him, and escapes. Even though Draco does not have the Elder Wand (aka Death Stick) in his possession he looses rightful ownership of it, which passes onto Harry.

So when the final battle comes to pass and Voldermort confronts Harry with the Elder Wand in hand it doesn't work right against its rightful master. Harry feels no pain, suffers no death, and easily disarms Voldermort in battle while facing it. He then finally claims it physically, becoming both the rightful owner and possessor of the Elder Wand (aka Wand of Destiny).

Then we have it being returned to Dumbledore's tomb, where it will stay forever (if they can help it). So if Harry lives a long life without serious conflict ending in his defeat and dies a natural death the wand will be permanently disarmed and have no master ever again. The power of it being gone forever.
Posted on: 2007/7/26 23:33
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.